Watermelon can be a great snack for your dog if given in moderation but it is important to not let them eat the rind of the watermelon. We talk about this in our Can Dogs Eat Watermelon article, but in this post we will be talking about what you should do if your dog eats some of the watermelon rind. It is important to keep your dog safe as the rind can be difficult for your dog to digest.
What To Do If Your Dog Ate A Watermelon Rind
The red, juicy part of the watermelon is healthy for your dog because it is primarily made up of water and a few additional nutrients and minerals. Giving your dog a small piece of watermelon once and awhile can be great for providing them additional nutrients and most dogs seem to absolutely love the flavor of watermelon. Most dogs love the flavor of watermelon as well as the texture of it, but it is important to not let your dog eat the rind of the watermelon.
The rind of the watermelon can be dangerous for the health of your dog because it can be incredibly difficult for them to digest. It can cause stomach pains and indigestion in your dog if they eat the rind of a watermelon, which is why it’s important to avoid feeding them this part.
The rind of the watermelon typically isn’t thought to be toxic to dogs unless it is infected with any chemicals or preservatives. The rind is dangerous for dogs because of how tough and firm the material is. The rind is incredibly difficult for dogs to digest and can cause blockage in the digestive track, can be a choking hazard, and can cause diarrhea or an upset stomach when digested by your dog.
The rind is not dangerous for humans to eat, nor are seeds. However, it’s still important to make sure you cut the watermelon away from any part of its skin that might have been in contact with chemicals or pesticides during farming.
Try Wild Earth 30% Off Today!
Learn how Wild Earth can help your dog live longer and visit the vet less.
Call Your Vet If They Eat The Rind
If you notice that your dog eats a large part of the rind of the watermelon then it is recommended that you give your veterinarian a call. They will be able to provide you with the best course of action to keep your dog safe. Your vet will know the current health of your dog and might recommend that you bring your dog to them for observation. Once at the vet’s office they can perform a physical examination to predict if your dog will have any issues digesting the rind of the watermelon. This may involve a scan to get a better understanding of your dogs digestive tract.
Monitor The Health of Your Dog
After you have talked with your vet, they may recommend that you just keep an eye on your dog for any unusual behavior or signs of discomfort. If your dog is having stomach pain or digestive issues they may have diarrhea, they may whimper or whine, they may become lethargic, all of these are symptoms of digestive issues from the rind. It is important to monitor how your dog is doing the hours after they have eaten the rind of a watermelon and give your veterinarian an update.
Is The Watermelon Rind Toxic For Dogs?
The rind of a watermelon isn’t thought to be toxic or poisonous for dogs but it is dangerous because of how difficult it will be for your dog to consume and digest. A watermelons rind is tough and difficult to chew up which makes it difficult for your dog to digest. It can cause blockage in their digestive system and can also be a choking hazard because of how tough the skin of a watermelon is.