Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Are They Safe For Dogs?
Category_Dog Knowledge

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Are They Safe For Dogs?

by Andrew Ehlert

Can dogs eat mushrooms? That is the question that many individuals are wondering. Many people don't know if their dog can eat mushrooms or not, and whether or not they should feed them to their dog. In this article we will talk about if mushrooms are safe for dogs as well as the different types of mushrooms to be aware of.

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Mushrooms have complicated health consequences for dogs because there are many different kinds of mushrooms. Cooked store-bought mushrooms without any additional oils or additives can be fine for dogs, but wild mushrooms that grow in your backyard can be dangerous for the health of your dog.

Mushrooms are typically only safe for dogs if they are cooked and bought from a store. Raw mushrooms can make a dog very sick and should not be given to them at any time. Dogs do not have the digestive enzymes that humans or other animals with longer intestinal tracts possess, which is why cooking the mushrooms is important before giving them to your pet.

Since mushrooms have so many different types, it is typically recommended that you speak to your veterinarian before giving you dog mushrooms.

What Kind of Mushrooms Are Safe For Dogs?

It's important to note, however, that many mushroom species are toxic for dogs. The safest mushrooms for your pet are the ones that can be cooked before ingestion: those found on grocery store shelves or grown at home (though you should always speak to your veterinarian before giving any wild-crafted foods to animals). These include shiitake, button/white mushrooms as well as portobello mushrooms.

Save 30% On A Treat Subscription Today

All other varieties of edible fungus may be dangerous if ingested by our canine companions so it is best not to give them raw or uncooked fungi without first consulting with a vet!

What Kind of Mushrooms Are Unsafe For Dogs?

Other varieties of edible fungus may be dangerous if ingested by our canine companions so it is best not to give them raw or uncooked fungi without first consulting with a vet! Mushrooms contain an enzyme called amatoxins, which may cause damage to tissue in a dog's liver and kidneys as well as destroy red blood cells. This will lead to lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea (which can also include blood), nervousness/malaise, and can eventually lead to death from organ failure.

This is why it is vital that you keep your dog away from wild mushrooms and always communicate with your vet before feeding your dog any kinds of mushrooms or fungi.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Wild Mushrooms

If you are out in the wilderness with your dog and they find some wild mushrooms, it is best to keep them on a leash (and not let go of the leash) until you can get back home. If your dog has eaten any kind of mushroom or fungi when you got home then call up your vet's office immediately for advice. The doctor will want to know what type of fungus was ingested by your canine friend as well as the quantity consumed before making any decisions about treatment.

Some types may be safe if given in small doses but only after consulting with a veterinarian first! Your vet may recommend that you bring your dog to them or an animal hospital for testing. We recommend in the meantime that you observe your dog for any signs of discomfort.

Signs of Mushroom Poisoning In Dogs

If you believe your dog has consumed mushrooms then it is important to speak with your vet and keep an eye on your dog for signs of mushroom poisoning. Below are a few of the most common signs that you dog is sick from eating dangerous mushrooms:


-Loss of appetite

-Diarrhea or constipation

-Excessive drooling and salivation

-Uncoordinated movement, including walking in circles, staggering (walking drunk) or seizures.

The only true way to tell if your dog has ingested a poisonous mushroom is through blood work done by the veterinarian. In order to make sure that this doesn't happen again you can use one of these methods:

-Avoid feeding them anything from outside sources

- Inspect any yard where they are playing mushrooms or fungi

- Educate yourself on what types of mushrooms are safe so you know which ones not to feed them

How To Keep Your Dog From Eating Mushrooms

The easiest way to keep your dog from eating mushrooms is to never feed them any. However, if you want to make sure that they are safe for your pet the following steps can be taken:

- Avoid feeding them anything from outside sources so they don't come in contact with an unknown mushroom or fungus on their own. This includes things like sitting by a tree or flower bed where there may grow wild mushrooms without knowing what type of fungi grows in those areas.

- Inspect any yard where they are playing as well as anywhere else you might suspect dogs could go looking for food such as wooded areas, grassy fields, etc. Other foods that will be healthier for your dog if they are cooked can range from spinach, cauliflower, onions, and more.

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Final Verdict

Can dogs eat mushrooms? Yes, they can. But you should only feed them safe types of edible fungi like portobello or button mushrooms that are cooked and peeled first. And avoid any wild species such as those from the Amanita genus because these may cause a dog to become extremely ill without even realizing it.

Store bought mushrooms on their own are not typically toxic for dogs but some varieties can be dangerous if ingested in large enough quantities due to toxins found within them. So always check with your vet before feeding this type of food to your pet so you know what is harmless and what is unsafe for your dog.

Let's Stay Connected